Long Beach's 2nd Annual Citywide
Youth Participatory Budgeting process launches on Thursday, January 25, 2024!
The Long Beach Invest in Youth Coalition, in partnership with the City of Long Beach, the Long Beach Office of Youth Development, and The Nonprofit Partnership present YOUTH POWER PB Long Beach, the first Citywide participatory budgeting process that was piloted in 2023.
To ensure a youth-led process, we invite youth ages 8-24 and youth-serving organizations to submit idea proposals, initiated by youth, that advance the core goals of the Youth & Emerging Adults Strategic Plan (YSP).
A Youth Steering Committee will review the ideas and decide on the ideas to advance to the next phase wherein a team of Youth Budget Delegates will collaborate with youth-serving organizations to turn ideas into budget proposals that advance equity and center youth priorities.
Then, in the spring, a Youth Voter Fair will kick off a 10-day voting period. Youth ages 13- 26 who live, learn, work, and/or play in Long Beach will vote for the budget proposals they want funded during the summer of this year. With up to four votes to cast, the proposals with the winning votes will be funded by $400,000 of Measure US funds.
WHAT IS PARTICIPATORY BUDGETING?
Participatory Budgeting (PB) is a democratic process that empowers everyday people to decide how to spend public dollars. It was developed in Brazil in 1989 and since then many variations of PB have been implemented by schools, community organizations, and cities worldwide.
Through this process we strive to:
Expand a multi-racial democracy
Invest in youth leadership
Build community connections
Shape equitable public budgets
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Youth (ages 8-24) who live, learn, work and/or play in Long Beach, CA can submit idea proposals.
Youth (ages 13-26) who live, learn, work and/or play in Long Beach, CA can vote for the budget proposals they want to fund this summer.
Youth-serving organizations that operate in Long Beach can submit idea proposals, initiated by youth, starting on Thursday, January 25th through Sunday, February 25th at 11:59 PM PST.
WHERE DO THE FUNDS COME FROM?
This year (2024), the City allocated $400,000 of public dollars secured by Measure US to fund PB summer projects and programs. Measure US was a ballot measure passed by voters in 2020 to annually fund public health, climate resiliency efforts, and children and youth programs throughout Long Beach.
TIMELINE & EVENTS
- Youth & youth-led organizations are invited to submit ideas!
- Two in-person information sessions will be offered. A recording will be available to view online.
- Youth Steering Committee decides on the ideas to shape into budget proposals and plans for the 10-days of voting
- Budget Delegate Teams partner with organizations to create budget proposals and market the ideas!
- Virtual training on how to be a Vote Site
- Youth Voting begins!
- Meet organizations in person at the Youth Voter Fair
- Youth Voting Sites across all nine districts will provide a safe space to cast your vote!
- As voted by youth, Districts 6 & 9 will have more voting sites.
- Winning proposals are funded by late spring
- Be sure to sign up to attend the summer program of your choice!
- Evaluate programs and the PB process